- What prevents Parvez from communicating directly with his son?
Parvez communication with Ali fails because he finds that Ali has been giving away his belongings, and when he tries to talk to him Ali strongly resists to his ideas.
- What is Parvez’s dream for Ali’s future?
Parvez works really hard for Alis education. He believes that the education is really important, also separate his son from being an extremist of the Islam. He also want Ali to adapt in the English society and get married with a typical english woman.
- How would you describe the personality of the following characterize:
Is the father of Ali, the protagonist. He is a hard working men, who had work long hours to afford his son education. He believes in freedom, so he moved to England to live a quiet life. He also believes that everyone should improve upon all the opportunities that life gives you.
He is the protagonist of the story. He is an idealistic and sincere man. He believes that many muslims are oppressed around the world. He wish to add a little grain of sand to better lives and opportunities for people, he believes that everyone should do and believe in what they want. He views the restriction of the islam as a necessary tool to preserve morality.
She is a prostitute friend of Parvez, she is a good listener and support Parvez communication with Ali. She encourage Parvez to communicate with his son, she beg Ali’s father to be patient with his son.
- At the beginning of the story Parvez starts to discover that his son is not like he used to be before; he stopped using his guitar, he started to be interested in other things that his father didn’t like or accept.
- At the end of the story the bond of brotherhood that they had before is completley broken due to the lack of things in common. Ali has an extremist way of thinking and acting, he can’t separate religion and routine, and Parvez is very disappointed and he reacts in an extremist and violent way also.
- Parvez finds a lot of confidence in Bettina. She is his lover but she is the one that is more aware of the things that are happening to him. She is the one who gives him advices and the one who listens to him.